Generating Linux Compatible binaries

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Fri Dec 3 17:02:13 GMT 2021

On 12/3/2021 11:50 AM, Goswami-EXT, Himanshu wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I want to generate the Linux compatible binaries on Windows System.
 > Cygwin is a cross compiler which offers POSIX environment.
 > But I could not find any Unix libraries to generate the Linux compatible binaries.
 > Could you please advice any steps that I can follow?
 >
 > Thanks in Advance.
 > Himanshu

Cygwin doesn't work that way.  It uses a custom built library that translates
POSIX system calls to similar Windows systems calls.  There are a few places,
such as file permissions, where differences will peek through.  Anyway, since
it does not run Linux compatiable libraries, it is not designed to build them.

The only solution I can recommend is to use a virtual machine, such as the Windows
Subsystem for Linux (WSL), Oracle Virtual Box, or VMWare.

Eliot Moss