vboxsharedfs - Too many levels of symbolic links

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Mon Dec 6 03:31:35 GMT 2021

On Sun, 5 Dec 2021 16:49:13 +0200
Oskar Skog wrote:
> But if I create a symlink on that filesystem, it's not identified as a
> symlink. Although, I don't know if this has ever worked as it is the
> first time I've ever tested it, it probably hasn't ever worked (see
> below).
>
> user@DESKTOP-******* /cygdrive/z$ ln -s report.pdf test.pdf
> user@DESKTOP-******* /cygdrive/z$ ls -l report.pdf test.pdf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 user None 1454562 Nov 28 12:05 report.pdf
> -rw-r--r-- 1 user None      34 Dec  5 16:36 test.pdf
> user@DESKTOP-******* /cygdrive/z$ cat test.pdf
> !<symlink>▒▒report.pdfuser@DESKTOP-******* /cygdrive/z$
>
> I think it's because "special" attributes don't work on VirtualBox
> shared folders, I can't hide files in Explorer either.
>
> So I don't think the patch has caused any regression here.

I cannot reproduce that behaviour.

yano@DESKTOP-LSNFFD0 /cygdrive/z
$ echo AAAAAAAAAAAA > a

yano@DESKTOP-LSNFFD0 /cygdrive/z
$ ln -s a b

yano@DESKTOP-LSNFFD0 /cygdrive/z
$ ls -l b
lrwxrwxrwx 1 yano None 1 Dec  6 12:17 b -> a

yano@DESKTOP-LSNFFD0 /cygdrive/z
$ cat b
AAAAAAAAAAAA

yano@DESKTOP-LSNFFD0 /cygdrive/z
$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
D: on /cygdrive/d type iso9660 (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
Z: on /cygdrive/z type vboxsharedfolderfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

Are you running VirtualBox in non-windows host by any chance?
cygwin symbolic link seems to work only in NTFS file system.

If shared folder is in linux file system, cygwin symbolic link
does not work.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>