Starting CMD from a bash shell with current directory on a mounted/network drive results in an incorrect current directory

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Mon Dec 13 11:06:23 GMT 2021

On Mon, 13 Dec 2021 10:53:41 -0000
"john daintree" wrote:
> I've just upgraded a machine from Windows 10 to Windows 11. Part of my work
> process is now broken because when starting cmd from Cygwin with the current
> directory on a mounted drive I get the following error/warning/issue:
>

> /cygdrive/j$ cmd
>
> '\\nas00.<redacted>\devt\users\johnd'
>
> CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
>
> UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
>
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.22000.348]
>
> (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>

> C:\Windows>
>

> The drive J: is mounted as something on our network (I've redacted a bit of
> the path, for probably no good reason)
>

> Is there a workaround? Or is this something that can be fixed in Cygwin?

Thanks for the report. This was already fixed recently in git head.

https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2021-December/250153.html
https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-patches/2021q4/011583.html

Please wait for the next cygwin release or new developers snapshot.

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>