[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: python 3.9 packages

Russell VT russellvt@gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 20:34:35 GMT 2021

Thanks Marco!

One small question/caveat, though, if I may?

On Tue, Dec 21, 2021, 9:11 AM Marco Atzeri via Cygwin-announce <
cygwin-announce@cygwin.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/
> In other systems as Debian
> /usr/bin/python is discouraged.
>
> As on Cygwin we have still several third packages depending on
> python2, the usage of alternatives should allow to manage
> until all are updated to python3

Even being a Debian / Mint / Ubuntu fan, there's still an incredible of
stuff that uses "/usr/bin/python," instead of something like "/usr/bin/env
python." It seems "not unreasonable" to continue to support that link, just
to allow people who use Cygwin for development, a little additional sanity
for the time being?

That said, people *should* be transitioning to other tools, such as pyenv
or pipenv, to better manage their environments (or, in the case of later
python 3 versions, the built-in venv mechanism)

Regards
> Marco Atzeri

Cheers!
Russell VT