[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: setup (2.911)

Doug Henderson djndnbvg@gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 18:38:42 GMT 2021

On Thu, 30 Dec 2021 at 09:46, Rainer Emrich
<rainer-lists@emrich-ebersheim.de> wrote:

> Hi Jon,
> for me the new setup executables do not work, same for both:

In my analysis, setup is reporting for a non-elevated shell:

$ ./setup-x86_64
User has NO backup/restore rights
User has symlink creation right
note: Hand installation over to elevated child process.

for an elevated shell:

$ ./setup-x86_64
Starting cygwin install, version 2.911
User has backup/restore rights
User has symlink creation right
*** --symlink-type native requires SeCreateSymbolicLink privilege or
'Developer Mode'

I went through C:\Windows\System32\gpedit.msc to add the "admin" user
to have the "Create symbolic links" permission. (I had previously
given this permission to my user account)

I do not have  'Developer Mode' enabled as it is overkill unless necessary.

I suspect that setup-x86_64.exe is not correctly checking for the
"SeCreateSymbolicLink" and/or "Create symbolic links" permission.

Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com