[QUAR] alternative to terminator

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Tue Feb 2 13:18:08 GMT 2021

On 2/2/2021 7:18 AM, Frédéric via Cygwin wrote:

> I love to use terminator as terminal because of all the splitting I
> can do + tabs. Unfortunately, it does not work anymore now that
> python3 has become the default.

I think you're saying that the Cygwin version of terminator is old,
and based on python2.

> I guess that this has been fixed in terminator itself as I'm using it
> on linux where python3 is now the standard. It appears that I have
> version 2.1.0 on fedora 32 and it is 0.98 on cygwin.

Indeed, the terminator web pages indicate that it works with python2
and python3.

> Based on that, here are some questions:
> - is it possible for a standard cygwin user to try to upgrade the
> cygwin package of terminator so that we have a newer version working
> nicely with python3 being the default?

The particular package maintainer would have to do the upgrade.  I'm
not sure if there *is* an active maintainer of this package.

> - is there any other good alternative with the same kind of
> possibilities of splitting the screen?

You can always install it yourself from the terminator web site.  Most
python code works out of the box on Cygwin, though it's always possible
that a package tries to do OS-dependent stuff and gets confused under
Cygwin as to whether it is running on Windows or Linux, depending on
how it asks questions of the underlying system.

Regards - Eliot Moss