Cygwin GDB won't start or hangs at startup

Daniel Röhrborn dan066@web.de
Fri Feb 5 07:55:24 GMT 2021

>On 04.02.2021 13:13, Daniel Röhrborn via Cygwin wrote:
>> I have this issue on three different PCs (Win7_32bit, 2x Win10_64bit) with the latest Cygwin installer.
>> I installed Cygwin gcc/g++/gdb. Compiler works but gdb doesn't output anything when started. It seems to have blocked right after start. >What could cause this behaviour?
>>
>> When I downgrade to gdb version 7.10.1-1 it works normally and outputs its startup message.
>> But with any higher version (7.12.1-2, 8.0.1-1, 8.1.1-1, 8.2.1-1, 8.3.1-1, 9.2-1, 10.1-1) I get no output at all. The process hangs forever. >Running GDB from the Cygwin Terminal also doesn't help.
>> Since nobody else seems to have similar problems, I think it could be a configuration problem.
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Daniel R.
>
>Hi Daniel,
>does not start, as it goes back directly to the shell, or it seems
>stacked and typing "quit" it exits back to the shell ?
>
>The first effect is caused by missing or mismatched DLL's.
>
>The second I have seen on my W10 only if I run GDB from CMD and the
>Cygwin bin directory is not in the PATH
>
>Regards
>Marco

Hi Marco,
it seems stacked and when blindly typing "quit" it responds with exiting. So it seems like the output is invisible.
Tested it with Win7_32bit, GDB version 9.2-1 with Cygwin/bin in PATH (since the beginning).

Regards
Daniel