Cygwin doesn't handle SIGWINCH properly in Windows Terminal

Tue Feb 16 22:11:56 GMT 2021

On 2021-02-16 13:50, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 16.02.2021 um 21:37 schrieb Takashi Yano via Cygwin:
>> On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 09:26:52 -0700
>> Brian Inglis wrote:

>>> Do these changes (still?) honour stty flags like isig, ixany, noflsh and handle
>>> interrupt character settings for e.g.:
>>>     intr = ^C; quit = ^\; swtch = ^Z; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z;
>>>     discard = ^O;
>>> ?
>> Basically yes. However, stty noflsh, flusho and Ctrl-O
>> does not take effect in the current code with/without
>> the patch.
> Output flushing doesn't work in the pty either, and neither in Linux. The
> setting seems to be a relic from Unix systems.

It was an interactive shortcut to send excessive output to the bit bucket
*after* a command was run, which saved dialup I/O charges, and time, when dialup
was slow and expensive, and terminals were slow TTYs.
It's still useful if you finger fumble and get too many unexpected hits on a
recursive find or grep.

Predates Unix by a decade - was standard on all DEC(/Digital) OSes and their
offshoots like Tenex and Unix, the function was available in Multics tty DIM
(whatever that stood for) - can't find any details by searching (many scanned
docs predate useful OCR and are hundreds of pages) - may have come from MIT CTSS
(which had many of the features and functions of Unix), the development system
for Project MAC (the development project with many spinoffs, one of those
Multics, another the CTSS and Multics AI Lab competitor ITS), or the
predecessors on which they were based.