Fortran Installation

Sun Jan 3 17:28:40 GMT 2021

On 2021-01-03 09:44, Lou Umscheid via Cygwin wrote:
> I would like to install Fortran on newly installed Cygwin64 on my new LG laptop.
> I did this 9+ years ago for Cygwin32 on my Dell T1600 which is now fading. The
> process 9 years ago was long and hard over several weeks with many fallbacks and
> redo's. I am competent in Fortran programming but have only a minimum knowledge
> of Linux/Unix. Can anyone point me to a guide (I searched but could not find
> any) to installing Fortran, including which files to download, PATH, alias
> changes, etc. I know it is a lot to ask, but ANY help would be appreciated.

To get a list of manually picked and installed packages in your current Cygwin
installation (excluding library packages except if they are devel or doc
packages) run the following command against your current installation:

$ awk '$3 && ($1 !~ /^lib/ || $1 ~ /-(devel|doc)/) {print $1}' \
	/etc/setup/installed.db | tee cygwin-packages-picked.txt

* transfer the file cygwin-packages-picked.txt to your new system e.g. your
Windows account Downloads folder on your new system,
* download https://cygwin.com/setup-x86_64.exe to e.g. your Windows account
Downloads folder on your new system,
* run setup-x86_64 on your new system with no selections to install a basic
Cygwin installation for you, then
* start a Cygwin shell in a terminal session, and
* rerun the Cygwin setup program with e.g.:

$ cygstart /proc/cygdrive/c/Users/.../Downloads/setup-x86_64 \
-P "`cat /proc/cygdrive/c/Users/.../Downloads/cygwin-packages-picked.txt`"

to start installing the manually picked packages you had on your old system
(dependencies will be automatically pulled in):
* you *MUST* exit your Cygwin shell and terminal, and ensure that you have no
other Cygwin processes still running, before allowing the Cygwin setup program
to proceed; and
* wait patiently for all the package downloads, installations, and post-install
scripts to run to completion, before trying to do anything more under Cygwin on
your new system.