problem using gcc-core for compile qemu

Arthur Norman acn1@cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 8 08:42:58 GMT 2021

> I can't use virtualbx because what I need is to emulate
> the aarch64 architecture, I don't want to use binaries compiled by
> others, one of the reasons is that those binaries don't include sd-card
> emulation support...
This is perhaps an off-topic response as regards compiling things on
cygwin, but some while back I found a range of sets of instructions for
setting up aarch64 emulation in qemu. When I had any issues running on
Windows I just used virtualbox to give myself an x86_64 Linux world and
installed qemu there. And after a while I could buy a Raspberry pi with a
64-bit cpu and use that, so these days working with aarch64 (and an SD
card) works best for me on an rpi4 not via emulation. But to find people
who have worked on adapting and setting up qemu to support aarch64 with an
SD card you might find it useful to follow the footsteps of those who were
working towards rpi 64-bit support?
And I like and use cygwin for most of what I do, but when something I want
to do is better supported by Linux then setting up an Ubuntu via
virtualbox uses some disc space but does not add much overhead on my
main W10 machine and lets me build, test and debug there because
following a path that is already well trodden is often easiest!
Arthur