tar 1.33 symlinks : Cannot change mode to...

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Jan 11 23:50:33 GMT 2021

On 1/11/2021 2:57 PM, Morgan King via Cygwin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am experiencing the same issue with tar and I am able to reproduce it following the steps at:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-tar/2011-08/msg00006.html
>
> This issue only appears to occur when using 32-bit Cygwin, I am unable to reproduce it using 64-bit Cygwin.

I can confirm this.  Running the tar command under gdb shows a problem at
gnu/fchmodat.c:94:

94            if (S_ISLNK (st.st_mode))

Here st is a stat structure for directory/1, so S_ISLNK() should be true.  It is
indeed true on 64-bit Cygwin but not on 32-bit Cygwin.  Someone needs to look
more closely and find out why this happened.  I'll try to do it tomorrow if no
one beats me to it.

Ken