How to reinstall everything?

matthew patton pattonme@yahoo.com
Sun Jan 17 20:53:43 GMT 2021

On Sunday, January 17, 2021, 02:44:37 PM EST, Achim Gratz <stromeko@nexgo.de> wrote:

 >matthew patton via Cygwin writes:
>> can we fix setup.exe to read STDIN with '-P', like so?
>> echo 'pkg1,pkg2,pkg3' | setup.exe -P -

> You probably forgot that setup is a Windows program.  besides, you must
> not start it from the Cygwin that you are about to install a package into.

so Windows programs can't be written to read from STDIN? I can't think of any Unix utility that uses commas to delimit. And any Windows one that uses commas is clearly improper/wrong was well.
If "you're not supposed to invoke setup.exe from within cygwin" were true then all the 'xargs' and 'paste' workarounds are null and void. And no, I don't automatically reach for xargs to bandaid around poorly written programs that violate 50 years of convention.