switching to any other than English keyboard layout is not handled correctly anymore on the prompt at minimum

Mon Jan 25 20:50:53 GMT 2021

On 2021-01-25 05:46, Ariel Burbaickij via Cygwin wrote:
> I tried to find some files from the command line prompt which are named
> using various non-Latin (Russian, Hebrew, Arabic) and non-default Latin
> (German) layouts under Windows 10 Enterprise using recent cygwin version
> and the outcome is that instead of representing letters I see control
> characters of the type: \263\320\321  (Unicode numeric value of the
> letters?). Any ideas what happens here and how correct functionality can be
> restored?

Which command line prompt(s): cmd, mintty, rxvt, xterm, ...?

Where and how did you switch layouts: Windows keyboard mapping, Windows system
locale, Windows user regional settings, chcp, LANG, LC_CTYPE, LC_ALL, ...?

If you are using a terminal, what are the terminal locale and code page settings?

Maybe you could explicitly show and tell us what characters you used (sending in
hex please and also in 8bit UTF-8 for maximum readability: that looks like octal
which went out with ASCII, ISO-646, SBCS code pages), show us how the filenames
appear including the locales and the shell command lines, and show and tell us
what you expect, and what is the difference in what you see.

For details on Cygwin file name special character mappings, see:

	https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html