switching to any other than English keyboard layout is not handled correctly anymore on the prompt at minimum

Ariel Burbaickij ariel.burbaickij@gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 08:50:10 GMT 2021

>It sounds like your program wants UTF-8, but your
>keyboard is putting out latin1.

OK, I did the following: I went to cmd.exe and changed Active code page
from 437 (latin1 ?) to 65001 (UTF-8 ?) but there were no changes in the
behaviour in Cygwin terminal. In cmd.exe itself it handles Russian and
German itself just fine also with 437 code page. For BabelMap -- I do not
see how it can be useful for regular input of non-English string and not
just one single character here and there. And again -- it is not something
that was present from day zero or somewhere close in Cygwin, it worked just
fine on my old laptop, I migrated to a new one and this is what I see for
the first time.

Best Regards
Ariel Burbaickij