Python for Windows reports wrong local time when run under Cygwin on Europe/Moscow TZ

KAVALAGIOS Panagiotis (EEAS-EXT) Panagiotis.KAVALAGIOS@ext.eeas.europa.eu
Thu Jun 10 15:25:53 GMT 2021

I also support that TZ environmental variable shouldn't be set by default in Cygwin. I don't even remember any Solaris, HP-UX, IRIX, Digital Unix, FreeBSD, Linux etc. setting it by default. It was up to the user to define it and enjoy with the different output of the "date" command.

It might have been introduced in Cygwin to resolve some issues on the programs that need POSIX TZ format, but for the rest of the programs that still consult the windows format will fail. It would be more reasonable to use a wrapper script for those programs that have issues to set it explicitly to the expected windows default format.

Kind regards,

Panos Kavalagios

Application Architect
CONSULIAT (under contract with the EEAS)
BA.BS.3.IS
Office: EEAS B100 Floor 5 Area 048
Rue Belliard 100, 1000 Brussels
Phone: +32 2 584 6017