odd prob for cygwin 'dd' from a character device on network disk

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Mon Jun 14 23:34:35 GMT 2021

On 2021/06/11 18:32, Duncan Roe wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 08:20:30PM -0700, L A Walsh wrote:
>
>> On 2021/06/09 19:23, Duncan Roe wrote:
>>
>>> nfs / nodev?
>>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean or are asking.
>> I'm not using nfs...but cygwin.
>>
>> The file 'zero' is in the same dir as the file 'null'.
>> I usually read 'zero' and write to 'null, though
>> for 1-way testing, I read from file 'zero' on the remote
>> file system and write, locally to /dev/null.
>>
>> For other direction write to 'null' and read from
>> /dev/zero locally.
>>

> When you said you were accessing zero over the network, you didn't say how so I
> suggested if you were using nfs then nodev might be the culprit.
>
> How are you accessing files aver the network?
>
> I suspect that whatever mechanism you are using has the equivalent of the nfs
> nodev feature (part of nfsmount, may be specified in fstab) and the nodev
> equivalent is turned on in your case.

----
    Was afraid that's what you meant...don't know of such an option
with samba, not to mention using the same version of samba now,
as for ages.

    Using smb/cifs -- a mounted samba share with my home directory mounted
as drive 'H'.

The device files are created in my home directory (on linux)
as files 'zero' and 'null'.

I don't know of any equivalent 'nodev' option in samba -- but
regardless, I'm not sure what has changed.  I'm still running the
same samba that I have for over a year -- my kernel might be
different, but I don't think there's been any change
to '/dev/zero' -- but in the same directory, writing to
the file named 'null' still works.

*sigh*