bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...

Russell VT russellvt@gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 07:16:27 GMT 2021

I think we need more context, here... as what does Windows versus Cygwin
think those permissions are...???

Are you running your terminal, as you... or did you run it as Administrator?

Have you run an update, and not rebooted?

There should be some "basic shell debugging" done here, first... since
there's a disconnect from when tar gets its file list, and when it
physically goes to retrieve a (possibly temporary) file. It will also
complain about directories it can read, but not access. So, it would be
better to figure out what the "difference" is between what you expect, and
what actually happened with the tar.

Unfortunately, permission issues between Windows and Cygwin can be
*extremely* complex (ie. there are a ton of details missing here, which
might make it easier to help troubleshoot).

Hope that helps point you in a good direction.

Cheers!
Russell VT

Russell M. Van Tassell <russellvt@gmail.com>