bug in cygwin tar reading unexpected input(s)...

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sat Jun 19 11:34:19 GMT 2021

On 2021/06/16 10:22, Achim Gratz wrote:
> L A Walsh writes:
>
>> Tar'ing up a windows dir (ProgData) had some unexected failures
>> of the sort:
>>
>> tar: Dbgview: Warning: Cannot llistxattrat: No such file or director,
>>
>> Where the item listed (Dbgview, ...) is a windows symlink like:
>>
>> 2019/02/07  22:53    <SYMLINK>      Dbgview [SI\Dbgview.exe],
>> and stems from the use of the --xattrs switch.
>>

> Hmm.  Looks like some of the symlink / attrs content is taking a route
> that doesn't deal correctly with '\' as a path separator.  Which isn't
> too terribly surprising in a way, but it would still be useful to find
> out where.  Can you run (a pared down) example in strace and show the
> result?

----
Interesting diagnosis.  Won't know if I can do so until I've tried.
Should be _able_ to setup a test case, will have to try it and see.

Thanks for the exact diagnosis of what's needed, and next step!  :-)

Will try to get to it,  but am trying to deal with other problems at
the same time (one of which was the one that had me do full backups)...

Linda