Uninstall python 2.7 fails - alternative dependencies

Doug Henderson djndnbvg@gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 17:32:50 GMT 2021

I attempted to remove all packages related to Python 2.7 from my
cygwin installation.

I am unable to remove four packages.

python2
python27
python27-pip
python27-setuptools

There are over 500 packages that require python2 and over 700 packages
which depend2 on python2.

There are also around 90 packages that refer to both python2 and
python3 packages. I have many of these packages installed. I suspect
that at least some of these actually require either python2 or
python3, but do not require both.

To assist in supporting this kind of requirement, is there a way to
create a package whose requirements are resolved by either of several
other packages?

For instance, could we have a package e.g. python-alternatives, that
when required is satisfied by either python2 or python3. This
mechanism might be useful for dealing with any set of packages that
work with the alternatives system.

Thanks for your consideration,
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com