segfault on 32bit cygwin snapshot

Thu Mar 4 15:54:39 GMT 2021

On Mar  4 10:17, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On 3/4/2021 6:50 AM, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> > On Thu, 4 Mar 2021 12:11:11 +0100
> > marco atzeri wrote:
> > > I have no problem to patch Python to solve the issue,
> > > but I have not seen evidence of the dlsym mechanism .
> > > But of course I an NOT and expert in this field.
> > >
> > > If someone looking to the code can give me some hints,
> > > I will appreciate
> >
> > I am also not sure where the dlsym() is used in python.
> > At least, os.uname() works in python 3.8.7 and 2.7.18 in my
> > environment even without that snippet. It seems that os.uname()
> > does not use dlsym(). Do I overlook something?
>
> This all started because Mark reported a problem building python 3.8.3:
>
>   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-apps/2020-December/040765.html
>   https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin-developers/2020-December/012019.html
>
> It's strange that Marco never bumped into the problem.

Right.  I was wondering the same when I read Marco's reply.  I thought
this is something in old python versions, but my testing never involved
python.  I just used a simple uname implementation calling uname via
dlopen/dlsym.

Either way, the problem persists.  Newly built executables requesting
uname via dlsym should certainly get the new implementation.

Corinna