Help on Unsubscribing

Sat Mar 6 01:38:48 GMT 2021

On 2021-03-05 14:22, Kraja, Aldi via Cygwin wrote:
> Please remove my email address aldi@wustl.edu from your posting lists (cygwin@cygwin.com).

If following the links to the instructions at the bottom of the page:

"Cygwin Subscribers
To unsubscribe from Cygwin, get a password reminder, or change your subscription
options enter your subscription email address:
		(				)(Unsubscribe or edit options)
If you leave the field blank, you will be prompted for your email address"

does not work, then please try sending a blank email from your subscribed
address to <mailto:cygwin-request@cygwin.com?subject=unsubscribe> as detailed in
the 4KB of headers in each email you get from cygwin@cygwin.com.

If that does not work you may get help by sending a blank email from your
subscribed address to: <mailto:cygwin-request@cygwin.com?subject=help>

You may also consult the information under:

 > I have enjoyed your hard work as well as your outstanding contributions. But,
now the time has arrived that your project is obsolete, because Microsoft has
introduced ubuntu for windows system on windows 10, which covers everything I
need. So, I have removed cygwin software from all my computers.
 > The installation of UBUNTU on windows 10 is very simple: a) On the search box
of windows 10, search for "Turn Windows Features On or Off", b) In that list,
check the box for "Windows Subsystem for Linux", c) Install the latest UBUNTU
from Microsoft store for free, d) run terminal of Ubuntu from windows as an app:
first time it will asks to set a username and password.
 > e) Follow with sudo ubuntu apt upgrade ; sudo ubuntu apt update. The rest is
whatever the user wants to do, by installing additional packages, emacs etc. To
simplify the use of x-win interface one can install VcXsrc for using XLaunch app
for free.
 > Once more thank you for all your efforts in years. It has been a great help
to use your software in years.

[WSL has been available for a few years now with a number of distros available
on the Windows app store and github.
There are still many different use cases for each of the alternatives of Cygwin,
WSL VMs, Unix VMs, Unix on hardware. Interoperability is still best under
Cygwin; iffy under WSL with limitations and security not integrated: not seeing
much value from using a common MS kernel under each WSL VM, rather than the
native distro Linux kernel under an actual VM; somewhat available under VMs via
mounts, still unsure how much I trust NTFS to manage "local" workstation VM
Samba shares, although I do a fair amount of read/write from both sides for
testing.]