[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: python packages

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Mar 7 20:44:33 GMT 2021

On 3/7/2021 2:34 PM, Marco Atzeri via Cygwin wrote:
> On 07.03.2021 17:58, Ken Brown via Cygwin wrote:
>
>>> I have a CI job which runs 'setup -q -P python3,python3-lxml'.  It's
>>> nice if that gets me something where "python3 -c 'import lxml'"
>>> works, and doesn't require changing every time the default python
>>> version is updated.
>>
>> Currently python3 is a meta-package whose main purpose is to require
>> the default python version (currently python38).  Marco, couldn't you
>> just make python3-foo a meta-package that requires the corresponding
>> python*-foo (currently python38-foo)?
>>
>> Ken
>

> the issue is that Cygport creates the "obsolete" python3-foo
> that is replaced by python36-foo automatically.
>
> we should change cygport to use python38 instead
> $ cat python3-lxml/python3-lxml-4.6.2-1.hint
> category: _obsolete
> requires: python36-lxml
> sdesc: "Obsoleted by python36-lxml"
> ldesc: "The python3-lxml package is obsolete.  Selecting this package for
> installation will cause the python36-lxml package, which replaces this
> one, to be installed instead."
> external-source: python-lxml

As long as you have to patch cygport anyway, maybe it would be better to
have cygport create an empty (but not obsolete) package.  I think users
might find it confusing that they have to install an obsolete package to
get what they want.  Also, obsolete packages are normally hidden in the
setup UI.

Ken