How to uninstall packages that were installed as dependency but are no longer required

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 08:07:04 GMT 2021

On 30.03.2021 07:51, Yasuhiro Kimura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> If you repeat the update of installed Cygwin packages for a while,
> it's quite possible that there are some packages that were installed
> as dependency but are no longer required by any others.
>
> Then is there any way to detect and uninstall such ones?
>
> I expect such way as `apt autoremove` of Debian or `dnf autoremove` of
> Fedora.
>
> Best Regards.
>
> ---
> Yasuhiro Kimura

as currently we are not tracking between choosen packages
and installed by dependency, Cygwin is lacking such capabilities

the most likely candidates for removal are the different version
of the same libraries

$ cygcheck -cd | grep "^lib" | tee lib.txt

in my case I see

libvpx1                                 1.3.0-2
libvpx3                                 1.5.0-1
libvpx4                                 1.6.1-1
libvpx5                                 1.7.0-1

$ cygcheck-dep -q -n libvpx1 libvpx3 libvpx4 libvpx5
  libvpx1: is needed for ( )
  libvpx3: is needed for ( )
  libvpx4: is needed for ( )
  libvpx5: is needed for ( gstreamer1.0-plugins-good libvpx-devel )

Regards
Marco