cygport - avoid stripping binaries

Federico Kircheis federico.kircheis@gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 19:29:22 GMT 2021

On 06/11/2021 18.30, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
> On Nov  6 15:31, Federico Kircheis via Cygwin wrote:
>> it seems that cygport always strip binaries, but I have one program that
>> when stripped does not work correctly.
>
> Out of curiosity, what program is that?  And why does it require the
> symbols to be present in the executable?
>

> Corinna

Hi Corinna,

it's pari-gp the program I'm having trouble packaging.

If I compile it manually, without cygport, then I'm able to execute it.
If I use cygport, then the program misbehaves.

I've noticed that cygport strips the binaries, so I thought that could
be the issue.

Also setting

RESTRICT="strip" and STRIP=/usr/bin/true

seems to strip some information compared to the manually built binary.

Best

Federico

PS:
Why does cygport strip binaries by default?
Doesn't it generally makes harder to debug issues?
If stripping removes unused data I would actually expect the compiler to
not generate it, and if the data is used....

Is it a common practice for GNU/Linux distribution to strip binaries
when creating packages?