Could rm remove files and folders with colon in their name?

Wed Nov 10 13:49:22 GMT 2021

On Nov 10 10:45, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I've searched if this topic has come up before but could not find it.
>
> Could 'rm' support removing files and folders that have a colon ':' in
> their name? I.e. I would like that 'rm -fr' would remove a full directory
> tree, including such folders. Currently it will correctly remove anything
> inside such folders, but not the folder itself.
>
> As an example, for the following structure:
>     C:/root/folder/C:/inside/file.txt
>
> When using 'rm -fr root', afterwards I have:
>     C:/root/folder/C:

It works fine if the folder is called, say, "a:b", it just doesn't
work for a name which looks like a drive letter "x:", apparently.

Funny.  I'm busy with non-Cygwin stuff ATM, but I'll look into it
later.

Thanks for the report.

Corinna