Problem with ssh(d)

Strasser, Dominik (DI SW ICS ICV) dominik.strasser@onespin.com
Wed Nov 10 15:28:05 GMT 2021

Hi Bill,

On 10.11.2021 16:10, Bill Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 7:52 AM Strasser, Dominik (DI SW ICS ICV)
> <dominik.strasser@onespin.com> wrote:
>
>     We are in an AD environment. AD holds the needed data for ssh(d) to
>     work. I can log into cygwin using ssh. But if I have a key stored
>     .ssh/authorized_keys for passwordless login, the groups my user is in
>     differs from the one w/o an authorized keys. Unfortunately exactly
>     the
>     group(s) for accessing the shared filesystems is missing. We were
>     investigating a lot and the only workaround we found is that the sshd
>     service runs under the user we want to log in. This unfortunately
>     disables any other user to log into the cygwin machine. When
>     debugging
>     ssh with -vvv, there is no visible difference between the login with
>     authorized_keys or without (of course there is a difference wrt. the
>     login method).
>

> The OpenSSH server service should be running as local system, not as a
> specific user.
I know that this is the standard installation. But we absolutely need
passwordless login. So this was the workaround we found.
The number of groups differs when sshd is run as local system, and when
authorized_keys exist or not. Groups are OK, when it is run under the
one user we absolutely need the passwordless login.

Regards

Dominik

--
Dominik Strasser       | Phone:  +49 89 99013-436
OneSpin Solutions GmbH | Fax:    +49 89 99013-100

OneSpin Solutions GmbH
A Siemens business

Geschaeftsfuehrung: Thomas Heurung, Frank Thurauf
Sitz: Muenchen; Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 139 464
UstID#: DE 814 413 215