Portable CygWin version for Windows?

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Sun Nov 14 16:10:16 GMT 2021

Greetings, Peter Steiner!

> On webpage

> https://cygwin.com/

> I found only a CgyWin Installer to download.

> I prefer to put CygWin on an USB flash drive and run it on various
> computers without leaving installation traces.

You will have to format the stick to NTFS, and run rebaseall for each time you
insert your stick into a new system, which defeats the very idea of having a
"portable Cygwin" - it will always be tied to a specific system.

> Is there really no portable version to download?

> What if I install it once one computer and copy all the files to my USB flash drive?
> Are there any disadvantages?

It may just break at the least predictable moment.
Some tools may freak about permissions being wrong (for those per-user
entries in the /home directory).
Some may simply crash due to changed address layout.
This is simply not feasible, IMO.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin