bat File to Launch Remote X11 Application

Tue Nov 23 06:06:08 GMT 2021

On 2021-11-22 17:07, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Nov 2021 14:15:32 -0500
> Dennis Putnam wrote:
>> I have a remote X application on a Linux system that I want to launch
>> with a Windows bat file. My main problem is how to determine if Cygwin/X
>> is running and if not launch it. Once verified I think all I need to do
>> is use SSH -Y with the command that starts the X application. Can
>> someone help? TIA.
>
> What about something like:
>
> set DISPLAY=:0
> for /f "usebackq delims=" %%A in (`tasklist ^|find /C "XWin"`) do if %%A==0 start C:\cygwin64\bin\XWin %DISPLAY% -multiwindow
> c:\cygwin64\bin\ssh -Y 192.168.0.133 xterm
>
> Note that the above bat fails to start XWin if it is already
> started with DISPLAY other than :0.

Assuming Cygwin bin is in your PATH, check for xinit base process using
one of the following commands:

$ tasklist /fi "imagename eq xinit.exe"		\
Image Name                   PID Session Name      Session#    Mem Usage
======================== ======= =============== ========== ============
xinit.exe                   2652 Console                  1      2,952 K
$ ps -aeW					\
    37738  37632  37632      2652 cons0    197609   Oct 21 /usr/bin/xinit
$ procps -C xinit				\
   PID TTY          TIME CMD
37738 cons0    00:00:00 xinit

for first two commands, add check for xinit running:

| fgrep -w xinit \

and in all cases, if not, add X start, and sleep 60 or so, to give the X
server adequate time, before starting the remote client:

|| (run --quote /usr/bin/bash -l -c "cd; exec /usr/bin/startxwin"; sleep
60;)

$ ssh -Y $REMOTE $CLIENT

If you want to find the display, try looking under /tmp/:

$ ll -go /tmp/.X*
-r--r--r--  1 11 Oct 21 09:56 /tmp/.X0-lock

/tmp/.X11-unix:
total 1.0K
srw-rw-rw- 1 0 Oct 21 09:56 X0=
-rw------- 1 0 Aug 18 10:31 X0.lock