Request: Singular 4.2.1p2, FLINT 2.8.4, Arb 2.21.1, pdf2svg 0.2.3

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 14:06:55 GMT 2021

On 28.11.2021 13:45, Samuel Lelièvre via Cygwin wrote:
> Dear Cygwin package maintainers,

Hi Samuel,

> This is to kindly request upgrading two existing
> packages for mathematical software (Singular and
> FLINT), and creating packages for two other pieces
> of software, one mathematical library for arbitrary
> precision real and complex floating point
> calculations based on ball arithmetic (Arb),
> and one graphics utility for converting between
> graphical file formats, from pdf to svg (pdf2svg).
>
> My wishlist as a list with extra links:
>
> - upgrade "singular" package to Singular 4.2.1p2
>
> - upgrade "flint" package to FLINT 2.8.4

Flint build for 64bit on the way.
It seems there is an API bump from 15 to 16

> - package Arb 2.21.1
>
> - package pdf2svg 0.2.3

These are new, so you can propose it

start reading from:
https://cygwin.com/packaging-contributors-guide.html

and we can follow up on cywin-apps mailing list

> Or if someone can teach me how to do that,
> I would be happy to learn in order to be able
> to contribute in the future. In particular there
> are a number of other pieces of mathematical
> software I would like to help package.

This is very appreciated. I can help you on that.

I never used Singular so my interest to update it was always
very limited;
last time it was mean Yue Ren to take care and I to just help him

https://sourceware.org/pipermail/cygwin-announce/2015-May/006150.html

but he never followed up on following releases.

About Singular last package build, the main issue in my opinion
is that the dynamic loading of "module" was transformed by Yue in a
static implementation.
I was trying to enable the dynamic loading but he preferred to
go for the current solution.
So I suspect the old patches could need an adjustment for the latest
4.2.1p2 source code.

 > Thanks for all the packaging effort.   --Samuel

If you are really interested on taking over Singular maintainership
we can follow up by private mail.

Regards
Marco