is there a limit on how many mintty terminals can be open at once?

Mon Oct 4 15:37:23 GMT 2021

On 2021-10-03 13:58, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 12:25:15 -0400
> "Jason Pyeron" wrote:
>> I got the "Error: Could not fork child process: There are no
>> available terminals (-1)" error.
>> Closing N minty terminals allowed me to open exactly N more.
>> My google fu is poor, since I cannot seem to find relevant pages.
>> What is the limit?

> In current cygwin, maximum number of pty is 128.
> It is hard coded and not configurable by user.
> https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=blob;f=winsup/cygwin/tty.h#l15

Why would you want and how could you use 128 local terminal windows on
one system, where could you put them, and be able to read them, unless
you are building some kind of control centre, and then wouldn't GUI
processes forked under a windows system be more useful?

There is no longer much of a limit on Cygwin 64 processes, so you could
fork thousands of bash or any other exe processes under each terminal.

I know sysadmins who used dozens of terminal windows, but only a few
active at a time, and they were ssh sessions to remote systems
displaying X terminals on their desktop X server.

I've never needed more than a few terminal windows on a few systems at a
time, but I come from the school of closing windows as soon as I don't
need them, to reduce load, and avoid typing any command in the wrong
window! One "Oh sh***!" is all you need ;^>

[The most I've deployed was a few stations at diverse locations with 12
windows on six screens remoting into servers running 12 front ends for a
trading platform to reduce latency of server process transaction
execution to low ms.]