GNU Emacs 28.0.50 crash (emacs-w32)

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Oct 7 14:53:16 GMT 2021

On 10/7/2021 10:16 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> Could this be the following problem that I mentioned in the release announcement?
>>
>>> Compilation is done asynchronously, with a log in a buffer called
>>> *Async-native-compile-log*.  If you run emacs-w32 and exit while a
>>> compilation is in progress, you might see a dialog box saying that
>>> emacs has aborted and asking if you want to attach a debugger.  Just
>>> say No.  If this annoys you, check the compilation buffer before
>>> exiting, and wait for the "Compilation finished" message.
>>
>> I'll add one more thing that I didn't know when I wrote that: You can customize
>> the variable native-comp-async-query-on-exit if you want to be warned that there
>> are compilations in process when you exit.
>
> Sure, that could be the problem.  I'll try the workaround.

Thanks.  Please report back.

I'm about to announce a new test release that tries to work around the problem
in a different way.  I'd be interested in hearing how that works too.

> I do notice that there are separate compilation directories for emacs
> and emacs-w32.  Is this necessary?

Yes.  Each build environment for emacs requires its own compiled libraries.
Here "build environment" includes source files, system, and configuration
options.  In this case, the build of emacs-w32 used the configuration option
"--with-w32" that wasn't used in the build of emacs-X11.

Thanks very much for testing!

Ken