CYGPORT: using WAF build system.

Fri Oct 15 15:22:54 GMT 2021

On 2021-10-14 04:02, Carlo B. via Cygwin wrote:
> I would like to make a package with LV2 plugins for CYGWIN.
> The problem is that those plugins are using the WAF build system and
> it is not clear to me how to proceed. Do you know if some of the
> existing packages for CYGWIN are using WAF, so that they could be uses
> as example for starting?

In connection with other queries, I just came across a few lv2 packages
already available in Cygwin:

lv2
lv2core
lv2-calf
lv2-devel
lv2-examples
lv2-swh

slv2
libslv2_9
libslv2-devel

with cygport build control script definitions and patches available
which use WAF:

https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/lv2.git
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/lv2-swh.git
https://cygwin.com/git-cygwin-packages?p=git/cygwin-packages/slv2.git

so you could install cygport and any *lv2* package dependencies, clone
these repos or download and untar the current source packages which
contain these files plus upstream tars, and build the current packages
as a proof of concept and way of learning cygport, before trying to
build more current versions.

The simple approach to running cygport is to change to the directory
containing the .cygport definitions and .patch file(s) or move them to a
working directory (normally named for the source package), then run e.g.

	$ cygport lv2.cygport get prep

which downloads the upstream (not Cygwin) package sources for the
specified version to a central cache directory, creates a package build
directory, copies or untars sources if required, and (tries to) apply
any patches to the original sources, to give you working sources, which
you can then use to compile and make install-able Cygwin packages for
the current arch.
You can try one of the following examples, depending whether you want to
watch the builds run or review the results later:

	$ cygport lv2.cygport all |& tee lv2-cygport-`arch`-all.log

	$ cygport lv2.cygport all | tee lv2-cygport-`arch`-all.log 2>&1

	$ cygport lv2.cygport all &> tee lv2-cygport-`arch`-all.log &

       $ cygport lv2.cygport all > tee lv2-cygport-`arch`-all.log 2>&1 &

Browse the created build subdirectories to see what is produced and
review all detail logs generated during the process.

After a successful build and package creation, it is always a good idea
to try to run any test suites with:

   $ cygport lv2.cygport check > tee lv2-cygport-`arch`-check.log 2>&1 &

I use the cygport command check instead of test as test is used
ambiguously by cygport, as it may also refer to test vs stable or
production releases produced by cygport using commands e.g. all-test.