[HEADSUP] Phasing out old Windows versions and 32 bit support

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Wed Oct 27 16:28:40 GMT 2021

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021 at 10:53:58AM +0200, Cygwin List wrote:

Greetings, Corinna,

> On Oct 26 21:29, Peter A. Castro wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 06:52:02PM -0400, Michel LaBarre wrote:
> >
> > Greetings, Michel & Corinna,
> >
> > > Corinna , thank you for the heads up regarding subsequent updates wrt Window
> > > 7.
> > >
> > > Would it be possible to create a short "how-to" for installing the most
> > > recently "known-to-work-with-Windows-7" version of Cygwin (presuming that
> > > old versions remain accessible indefinitely...).  Alternately, how one can
> > > download a repository now that is compatible with Windows 7 and useable for
> > > installing Cygwin in anticipation of the upcoming loss of support.
> >
> > As these milestones occur I will make notes in the Cygwin Time Machine
> > concerning the ending release snapshot and installers, like what I have
> > for the last XP release.
> >
> > Corinna, I presume you will post when these milestones occur so that we
> > have a more exact message in the Cygwin mail archive?
>
> In which way do you mean?  My planning was this:
>
> When I release 3.3.0 (next couple of days), I will add a note to the
> announcement that this is the last major release supporting Vista and
> Server 2008.
>
> When I release 3.4.0 (in some nebular future of 2022), I will add a
> note to the announcement that this version does not support Vista and
> 2008 anymore, and that 3.4.0 is the last version supporting
> W7, 8, 2008R2, 2012.
>
> That ok?  Or do you think of somehting else?

That works.  I'll note the email message for those announcements, like
I've done for the XP finale, and provide direct circa links and a copy
of the installer.

> Oh, that reminds me... I should have sent the headsup to cygwin-announce,
> not to the cygwin ML.  I will fix this omission immediately...
>

> Thanks,
> Corinna
>
> --
> Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html
> FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/
> Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html

--=> Peter A. Castro
Email: doctor at fruitbat dot org / Peter dot Castro at oracle dot com