[HEADSUP] Phasing out old Windows versions and 32 bit support [XEmacs for 64-bit?]

Dan Harkless dan.harkless@gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 22:35:07 GMT 2021

On 10/26/2021 1:55 PM, Corinna Vinschen via Cygwin wrote:
> We're also planning to drop Support for the 32 bit release of Cygwin in
> 2022, thus Cygwin 3.4.0 won't come in 32 bit anymore, and the package
> maintainers won't have to update 32 bit packages anymore.  If you're
> still running Cygwin under WOW64, consider to move to 64 bit in the next
> couple of months.
Except for my 32-bit Windows 7 (upgraded to 8.1) netbook, the only
reason I still install Cygwin32 in parallel with Cygwin64 is so I can
install the XEmacs packages.  Anyone know more about the difficulty in
getting those packages to work on 64-bit?  XEmacs from EPEL works fine
on 64-bit Linux, FWIW.

 From past attempts, I know it would take far too much time (and Elisp
programming) to get GNU Emacs up to the usability level that I've had
XEmacs at since the '90s.

(w3m-img is another package only available on Cygwin32 that I install,
but I don't use it and am not concerned about that one.)

Thanks,
Dan Harkless