Duplicate ACLs? - Can't copy file even with Admin permissions

cygwin@kosowsky.org cygwin@kosowsky.org
Mon Jan 3 15:51:07 GMT 2022

I have a file: /c/Config.Msi/3da9e136.rbf that I cannot copy, even when
I run bash as an administrator -- seemingly due to perm/acl errors.

Specifically:
	# mv 3da9e136.rbf newfile: works
	# cp 3da9e136.rbf newfile: works

But,
	# cp -a 3da9e136.rbf newfile
	cp: preserving permissions for ‘newfile’: Permission denied
	(though the file is created)

If I then do
	# getfacl 3da9e136.rbf | setfacl -f - newfile
	setfacl: more than one user entry.

And:
	# getfacl 3da9e136.rbf
	# file: 3da9e136.rbf
	# owner: Administrators
	# group: SYSTEM
	user::rwx
	group::rwx
	other::r-x
	user::rwx
	group::rwx
	group:SYSTEM:rwx
	mask::rwx
	other::r-x

While:
	# getfacl newfile
	# file: newfile
	# owner: Administrators
	# group: SYSTEM
	user::rwx
	group::rwx
	other::r-x

So the problem seems to be that the 'user' (and presumably also the
'group' and 'other') ACLs are duplicated.

Note that 'subinacl' shows:
=================================
+File C:\Config.Msi\3da9e136.rbf
=================================
/control=0x0
/owner             =builtin\administrators
/primary group     =system
/audit ace count   =0
/perm. ace count   =3
/pace =system  Type=0x0 Flags=0x3 AccessMask=0x1f01ff
/pace =everyone  Type=0x0 Flags=0x3 AccessMask=0x1200a9
/pace =builtin\administrators  Type=0x0 Flags=0x3 AccessMask=0x1f01ff

Not sure if this is an NTFS bug (or feature???) or a problem with
Cygwin file manipulation tools.

Either way:
- Is this a bug? (or a feature????)
- Any idea how or why this happened?
- Any idea how (or whether) to fix this so that I don't have duplicate
  ACLs?

Ideally, I would like to "fix" the problem with Cygwin tools...