Too many level of symbolic links (still have problem with sbmfs network drives)

Takashi Yano takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp
Sat Mar 5 02:23:26 GMT 2022

On Fri, 4 Mar 2022 15:43:55 -0500
Philippe Debanne wrote:
> Hello Cygwin list,
>
> Since updating my Cygwin installation to the latest version, I am having
> the problem of  "Too many levels of symbolic links" on certain network
> drives, that was reported in other threads.  I tried replacing the
> 'cygwin1.dll' with the snapshots from 2022-02-17 and 2022-03-01
> (x86_64).  This did fix the link to one of the network drives, but not
> others.
>
> The mount command in my case gives :
>
> $ mount
> D:/cygwin64/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
> D:/cygwin64/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
> D:/cygwin64 on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> D: on /cygdrive/d type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> L: on /cygdrive/l type cifs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> V: on /cygdrive/v type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> W: on /cygdrive/w type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> X: on /cygdrive/x type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> Y: on /cygdrive/y type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
> Z: on /cygdrive/z type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> No problem with the local drives, and I can now go to the X: drive
> thanks to the recent snapshot.  But not other 'smbfs' ones :
>
> $ cd Z:
> -bash: cd: Z:: Too many levels of symbolic links
>
> Any ideas what could be wrong ?  It seems to be limited to certain SAMBA
> shared drives.

Hmm, could you please provide the version of samba
and hopefully smb.conf file if possible?

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>