fonts and .xinitrc

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Tue Mar 15 13:14:57 GMT 2022

On 15/03/2022 12:27, send, send, send, send junk, junk, junk, junk wrote:

> For example, when I run xinit and include a .xinitrc file in my home directory, it seems to immediately crash.     >
> I currently have the latest Cygwin packages installed on my brand new gaming laptop (MSI GF65 Thin).   Here is the output of xinit when I include an empty .xinitrc:
>
> x@MSI ~
> $ touch .xinitrc

 From 'man xinit'

        "An important point is that programs which are run by .xinitrc
should be run in the background if they do not exit right away, so that
they don't prevent other programs from starting up.  However, the last
long-lived program started (usually a window manager or terminal
emulator) should be left in the foreground so that the script won't exit
(which indicates that the user is done and that xinit should exit)."

It seems you are getting exactly what you are asking for with an empty
~/.xinitrc.

[1] also mentions this.

[1] https://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using.html#using-starting-startx