GNU make losing jobserver tokens

Noel Grandin noelgrandin@gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:54:50 GMT 2022

On 2022/03/21 5:09 pm, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/21/2022 10:28 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>>
>> We have had a long-standing issue with make losing jobserver tokens. ("long-standing" here means for years, and years,
>> at least since GNU make 4.0, up to and including the current latest version in Cygwin.)

Hi

It was not that long ago that Linus Torvalds found a bug in the Linux kernel pipe implementation which caused GNU make
to lose jobserver tokens, so possibly researching that bug may shed some light on the kinds of things that could be
wrong with the Cygwin pipe code.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=0ddad21d3e99c743a3aa473121dc5561679e26bb
https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/12/18/1064

Regards, Noel Grandin