scp and ssh 'cat' stalls at 64k bytes

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@Shaw.ca
Sat Jun 24 05:35:18 GMT 2023

On 2023-06-23 20:19, Dan Harkless via Cygwin wrote:
> On 6/23/2023 6:59 PM, Chris Roehrig via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 2023-06-23 18:26, Dan Harkless via Cygwin wrote:
>>> On 6/23/2023 5:19 PM, Chris Roehrig via Cygwin wrote:
>>> Yes, with all Cygwin64 updates, I was able to scp a file of a few MB
>>> from Linux to Windows 10 with no issues. I also tried your 'cat'
>>> version, and that worked fine too.

>> Thanks. There must be some issue with my setup. Very odd that 'pv'
>> works, but 'cat' does not.  ldd shows they use identical libs.   I guess
>> I'll start with the pv and cat source.

> Before you resort to trawling through source, did you try a fresh Cygwin install
> (either to a different directory, or after temporarily moving your current
> tree)? Sometimes, e.g. if you use the same "packages" directory between two
> different versions of Windows, I've found that Cygwin can get screwed up in
> strange ways.

The -l|--local-package-dir DIR Local package directory just saves the downloaded
tar file in case you want to do a reinstallation.
I would expect trying to share the same -R|--root DIR Root installation
directory between different systems, when you can really only install on one,
and each host system requires specific unique keys to be generated, could give
you questionable setups.

Just try `cygcheck -c openssh coreutils pv` on each system to make sure the
installs say OK, or run setup-x86_64 and Reinstall any faulty package.

On each system have you run /usr/bin/ssh-user-config, and run
/usr/bin/ssh-host-config from an elevated admin account, customized or added
host keys appropriately to /etc/sshd_config, /etc/ssh_config,
~/.ssh/{config,known_hosts,authorized_keys}, /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*_key.pub?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry