[ERROR] Locale Monetary Symbol Prints Wrongly on Windows : Cygwin

Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] lavr@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Tue Mar 14 03:44:57 GMT 2023

Please pay close attention to how the command was shown to you, including the use of the whitespace:

> >    $ LC_MONETARY="en_ZM.utf-8" locale -ck LC_MONETARY

> In the terminal, when I use $LC_MONETARY = "en_ZM.utf-8" locale -ck
> LC_MONETARY
> Cygwin replies "-bash: LC_MONETARY: command not found"

The dollar sign in there was the shell prompt; not something you have to type.

So, this is basically what and how you should enter it:

LC_MONETARY="en_ZM.utf-8" locale -ck LC_MONETARY

HTH,

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI