cygwin1.dll calls assert before cygwin command hangs

Derek Pagel Derek.Pagel@infor.com
Thu Mar 23 13:27:34 GMT 2023

We've had problems with slow Cygwin commands, so we were able to capture a stack trace when the 'cp' program taking a long time to complete, and we noticed in the stack trace that the last thing cygwin1.dll does is calls assert. What might that suggest? And are there any situations that would cause an error on initialization?

Stack Trace:
Child cmd.exe -> cp.exe -> cmd.exe -> cp.exe:
ntoskrnl.exe!KeSynchronizeExecution+0x5a36
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x1c27
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x1799
ntoskrnl.exe!KeWaitForMutexObject+0x520
ntoskrnl.exe!IoQueueWorkItemEx+0x1a4
ntoskrnl.exe!RtlInitializeSid+0x40d5
ntoskrnl.exe!FsRtlRegisterFltMgrCalls+0x84225
ntoskrnl.exe!SeSetSecurityDescriptorInfo+0x269e
ntoskrnl.exe!SeSetSecurityDescriptorInfo+0x2476
ntoskrnl.exe!SeSetSecurityDescriptorInfo+0x2f05
ntoskrnl.exe!SeSetSecurityDescriptorInfo+0x2af8
ntoskrnl.exe!setjmpex+0x7925
ntdll.dll!ZwQueryObject+0x14
cygwin1.dll!dlfork+0xa0
cygwin1.dll!dlfork+0x24d3