cygwin does not run quietly if --quiet-mode given on commandline

Thomas Schweikle tschweikle@bfs.de
Thu Mar 30 14:23:24 GMT 2023

Hi!

starting cygwin setup-x86_64.exe with parameters:

setup-x86_64.exe ^
   --verbose ^
   --delete-orphans ^
   --local-package-dir "C:\WINDOWS\ccmcache\4r\installdata" ^
   --no-desktop ^
   --proxy "<proxy-host:proxy-port>" ^
   --root "C:\cygwin" ^
   --upgrade-also ^
   --quiet-mode ^
   --wait

It does not matter if "--quiet-mode" is given or not: in all cases
cygwin setup opens a window showing setup progress and the real bad
thing: allows the user on whom desktop the window is shown to stop the
upgrade!

I need a really unattended upgrade with some log written what setup had
done.

And is it a bug? As far as I could find "--quiet-mode" means no window,
no messages at all - am I wrong and all those interpreting it the same way?
--
Thomas