inkscape installed but does nothing.

René Berber rene.berber@gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 17:04:07 GMT 2023

On 11/22/2023 10:27 PM, J.F. Huesman via Cygwin wrote:

> (I tried to reply to this message twice and got mailer-daemon failure
> notices both times. My apologies if this is a duplicate message.)
> Yes, they are installed. which xwin xinit/usr/bin/xwin/usr/bin/xinit
>
> When I try to run inkscape, I don't get any errors and there were no
> messages about missing programs or dependencies when I ran the
> installer. I'm not trying to start a GUI. I have a script that I used
> to batch convert svg images in a folder to png. When that script
> wouldn't work (I've used it on other machines, including this one
> years ago using 32-bit cygwin instead of 64-bit that I'm using now) I
> started trying to invoke it from the command line, and that's when I
> discovered it's not doing anything. If I start Cygwin64 WindowMaker
> and type "inkscape" into the right-click run dialogue, I get a popup
> window, ErrorCould not execute command: inkscape

OK, then start from the basics:

$ ldd $(which inkscape)

Look at the output.  Is any dll shown as missing?

In the answer is no, then next check your anti-virus.  Is it blocking
the program? Is it injecting a dll?

Another set of tests would be, is the program installed correctly? i.e.
is it executable? Is not corrupt? A bit more difficult: is it loading
libraries into valid space (non colliding, in available memory).
--
R.B.