no sshd in package for openssh

Dr Bean drbean@freeshell.org
Thu Aug 1 09:15:12 GMT 2024

On Wed, 31 Jul 2024, Brian Inglis via Cygwin wrote:

> On 2024-07-31 13:16, Jim McNamara via Cygwin wrote:
> > Hi-
> >
> > I am running into a little difficulty with openssh can you please assist ?
> >
> > thanks jim
> >
> >   ./cygrunsrv --install sshd -d "Cygwin SSHD" -p /usr/bin/sshd -a "-D"
> > ./cygrunsrv: Given path doesn't point to a valid executable
> > Try `./cygrunsrv --help' for more information.
> >
> > there is no sshd folder in /etc off of cygdrive
> >
> > I think i have the latest package my setup version is
> >
> > cygcheck (cygwin) 3.5.3
> > System Checker for Cygwin
> >
> > $ cygcheck.exe -i openssh
> > Fetching setup.ini from cygwin.com...
> >
> > Installed package:
> > ------------------
> >
> > Name        : openssh
> > Version     : 9.8p1
> > Release     : 1
> > Architecture: x86_64
> > Install Date: Wed Jul 31 15:03:46 2024
> > Size        : 1073376 (1 M)
> > Categories  : Net
> > Source      : openssh-9.8p1-1-src.tar.xz
> > Summary     : The OpenSSH server and client programs
> > Description :
> > OpenSSH is a program for logging into a remote machine and for
> >          executing commands on a remote machine.  It can replace rlogin and rsh,
> >          providing encrypted communication between two machines.
> > Sent with Proton Mail secure email.
> >

> As documented in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README start by reading then
> running /usr/bin/ssh-host-config to set up your keys and the server.
>
> If required, you can later tweak your server setup by changing
> /etc/sshd_config and/or Windows `sc config sshd ...= ...` options.
>
> Always ensure that Windows sshd and other related services are not running
> and are disabled or deleted before attempting to set up Cygwin sshd, as
> Windows likes to litter your system with unnecessary services which make
> your system vulnerable as they are rarely updated:
>
> $ sc qc sshd
> [SC] QueryServiceConfig SUCCESS
>
> SERVICE_NAME: sshd
>         TYPE               : 10  WIN32_OWN_PROCESS
>         START_TYPE         : 4   DISABLED
>         ERROR_CONTROL      : 1   NORMAL
>         BINARY_PATH_NAME   : C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\sshd.exe
>         LOAD_ORDER_GROUP   :
>         TAG                : 0
>         DISPLAY_NAME       : OpenSSH SSH Server
>         DEPENDENCIES       :
>         SERVICE_START_NAME : LocalSystem
> $ `cygpath -S`/OpenSSH/sshd -V			# current LibreSSL is 3.9.2
> unknown option -- V
> OpenSSH_for_Windows_8.1p1, LibreSSL 3.0.2			# 2019 releases
> usage: sshd [-46DdeiqTt] [-C connection_spec] [-c host_cert_file]
>             [-E log_file] [-f config_file] [-g login_grace_time]
>             [-h host_key_file] [-o option] [-p port] [-u len]
> $ sshd -V
> OpenSSH_9.8p1, OpenSSL 3.0.14 4 Jun 2024
>
> [I sometimes overwrite Windows security risks with Cygwin equivalents for
> safety's sake just in case.]

Making use of the above to disable the Windows' OpenSSH SSH Server with

'sc config sshd start= disabled'

I had to also disable the incoming firewall rule for
OpenSSH SSH Server Preview (sshd) (and create one for CYGWIN cygsshd)

Connections were timing out with no program to connect to.

--
Greg "Dr Bean" Matheson		Teaching: brain surgery
http://drbean.sdf.org		with a blunt instrument