ftp.is.co.za mirror

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Wed Aug 14 17:41:39 GMT 2024

On 2024-08-14 07:50, gamer 191 via Cygwin wrote:
> I noticed that ftp.is.co.za is listed on
> https://cygwin.com/mirrors-report.html with error "501 EPSV: Operation not
> permitted". However, I was unable to reproduce that error using curl,
> making me think it might be a false-positive and/or geo-blocking.
> I'm not associated with that site, by the way

That message indicates that although the host is advertised with IPv6 AAAA
addresses, the ProFTPd server is not configured for IPv6 passive support.
In that case, the client should retry using IPv4 A addresses.

Perhaps the FTP mirror admins should be advised, and if FTP support can not be
made compatible, the FTP mirror dropped?

But there appear to be other issues where there are problems with Last Good
times older than recent Last Mtime and Last Progress times.

I notice on the ftp.kaist.ac.kr server that many inaccessible noarch/release
directories have perms drwx--S--- rather than drwxrwsr-x, indicating that
setguid is set but group execute/search is not, and no perms for other ids, so
that could be taken up with the mirror admins, assuming that is *NOT* an issue
with the Cygwin upstream!

But given that some of these reports are from years or months ago, it is
possible that FTP support may have been dropped, so perhaps those FTP mirrors
should just be dropped, with notification to the mirror admins?

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry