Urgent gcc update to GCC 13.3

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Mon Jul 15 22:20:15 GMT 2024

On 2024-07-15 14:44, Mark Liam Brown via Cygwin wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 15, 2024 at 9:35 PM Csaba Ráduly via Cygwin wrote:
>> On 09/07/2024 08:17, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin wrote:
>>> I'd agree that newer gcc 13.x to compile Cygwin and as /usr/bin/gcc
>>> would be a very good idea, not only for performance+STL fixes, but
>>> also since by default the Cygwin distro lacks C++17 support,

>> Huh? GCC supports C++17 since GCC 7

>> https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/17

> No, it does not. *Some* features work, but gcc 13.1 was the first
> release where everything mandated by C++17 is working, or at least
> compiling.
> So far g++ in Cygwin 3.5.3 cannot compile anything in std::pmr:*, e.g.
> std::pmr::monotonic_buffer_resource, std::pmr::polymorphic_allocator,
> std::pmr::string, ruling out any realistic C++17 apps (of course,
> HelloWorld will work).

Hi Mark,

You and others interested can either get involved by *volunteering* to assist
[SWHTDI] the current *volunteer* maintainers progressing their heavy workloads,
probably involving a lot of testing, failure diagnosis, gcc test discussion,
patch submission and possibly revision, across various x86_64/amd64 processors,
trying to be compatible with other uarches, processors, and platforms, or be
patient while they do their best in their free time (another free to add for
Cygwin software!)

As mentioned earlier gcc/-core/-g++/-ada/-fortran/objc/++ 13.2.1+20240426-0.1 is
available for installation as a test package, which means that you also have to
choose the test prerequisite packages at the same revision level, including:
libatomic1, libgcc1, libgfortran5, libgnat13, libgomp1, libobjc4, libquadmath0,
libstdc++6.

Installing and using these test versions and providing feedback to the package
maintainers is also a valuable contribution, but please also be aware that this
is a cooperative endeavour dependent on all participants availability, which may
vary widely e.g. European contributors may take many weeks vacation time during
summer, and life events and work commitments may also eliminate free time!

[BTW some testing indicates that most PMR can impose heavy penalties unless it
just provides a light wrapper around the standard `malloc` allocator to support
STL containers!
It must be nice to be able to ignore compilers that do not fully support the
latest standards and features.
Perhaps you should look at e.g. Fedora or other Linux distros Cygwin or Windows
cross or indeed native compilers.
Or maybe consider MSVC or a more up to date commercial offering.]

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry