Technical reason why 32bit Cygwin cannot be installed on 64bit Windows?

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Sat May 18 23:17:47 GMT 2024

> Is there a technical reason why 32bit Cygwin cannot be installed on
> 64bit Windows?

https://cygwin.com/install.html has the following...

=A note about 32-bit Cygwin

=The limited address space of 32-bit Windows means that random failures
=in the fork(2) system call are more likely. Therefore, we recommend
=using 32-bit Cygwin only in limited scenarios, with only a minimum of
=necessary packages installed, and only if there's no way to run 64-bit
=Cygwin instead.

FWIW Although this wording seems to indicate Cygwin is still supported
on 32-bit Windows, just discouraged, no Cygwin DLL since 3.3.6 has been
released for 32-bit Windows.  Features of later Cygwin DLLs are unlikely
to be backported.  I look forward (not) to future discussions about what
merits a backport or updated release and who should be doing it.

..mark