Technical reason why 32bit Cygwin cannot be installed on 64bit Windows?

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun May 19 15:24:17 GMT 2024

On 17/05/2024 10:30, Dimitry Andric via Cygwin wrote:
> On 17 May 2024, at 09:48, Cedric Blancher via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a technical reason why 32bit Cygwin cannot be installed on
>> 64bit Windows? We like to create a CI build pipeline, and want to
>> create binaries for 32bit and 64bit Cygwin on the same machine, but
>> setup.exe for 32bir Cygwin refuses to install
>
> How exactly does it "refuse to install" ? If it says "mbox : Cygwin is not supported on 32-bit Windows", you may not have followed the instructions at https://cygwin.com/pipermail/cygwin/2022-November/252542.html, which say:

This links to

https://cygwin.com/install.html#unsupported

which contains those instructions (and is kept up to date).

I'm not entirely sure how the OP managed to obtain an x86 installer,
without coming across those instructions.