Technical reason why 32bit Cygwin cannot be installed on 64bit Windows?

Brian Inglis Brian.Inglis@SystematicSW.ab.ca
Sun May 19 18:04:31 GMT 2024

On 2024-05-19 09:38, Jon Turney via Cygwin wrote:
> On 19/05/2024 00:17, Mark Geisert via Cygwin wrote:
>> FWIW Although this wording seems to indicate Cygwin is still supported on
>> 32-bit Windows, just discouraged.
>
> This seems like a willfully context-blind reading.
>
> The table above lists Windows versions for which support has been discontinued,
> which includes "All 32-bit".
>
> Further, https://cygwin.com/ plainly states "The Cygwin DLL currently works with
> all recent, commercially released x86_64 versions of Windows ...", which seems
> pretty unambiguous.
>
> Suggestions on how to improve this obviously welcomed. (but I'm not a big fan of
> "put fact A in place X as well as place Y, so people who ignored it in place Y
> because it didn't fit there priors can continue to ignore it in place X as well.")

Best practice for any communication is:

Tell them what you are going to tell them,
Tell them what you want them to know,
Tell them what you told them.
	-- Aristotelian Triptych

That is presumably triply true for unwelcome news!

"The human brain evidently operates on some variation of the famous principle
enunciated in 'The Hunting of the Snark': 'What I tell you three times is true.'"
	-- Norbert Weiner, "Cybernetics"

                                 -- Antoine de Saint-Exupéry