frequent hangs running ldd

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Fri May 24 22:43:49 GMT 2024

On 5/24/2024 3:26 PM, Jeremy Drake via Cygwin wrote:
> On Sat, 25 May 2024, Takashi Yano wrote:

>>> I doubt it, I was running a shell with this command:
>>> find /usr/bin -name \*.dll -printf '%p:\n' -exec ldd '{}' \;
>>
>> Thanks for the details. I could reproduce the issue.
>> It seems that ldh.exe (which is called from ldd?) falls into infinite loop.
>> However, gdb cannot attach to ldh.exe...
>>

> Windbg reports that ldh.exe is already being debugged.  I was able to do a
> "non-invasive" attach to ldh.exe in windbg, but it doesn't seem to be able
> to deal with the split debug symbols (gnulink?).  I don't know if gdb can
> do a non-invasive attach like that (or open a minidump assuming one could
> be made from a non-invasize attach in windbg).

ldd is the debugger of ldh. I found that Sysinternals Process Explorer
can attach to ldh, show the threads, and can get stack backtraces which
are refreshable. You have to convert addresses shown there into
source-relevant addresses manually.

I'm bowing out for now as I think Takashi has a handle on this.
Cheers,

..mark